There are more than 6,000 vehicles animal collisions per year in Oregon. And that doesn't take into account all the accidents that go unreported!
The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife has put together some great tips to avoid colliding with a deer.
- Don't swerve: it's most important to maintain control of your vehicle.
- October and November are the heavy months because of migrations and mating season.
- Especially be alert on 55mph highways.
- When vegetation is thick.
- Deer often travel in groups.
- Wildlife crossing signs are there because of past wildlife/vehicle collisions.
Check out their article to learn more.